When I started this project, I couldn’t find much on how to redo this type of chair, so I had to figure it out as I went. Now that I’ve muddled my way through it, I thought I’d share what I’ve learned and hopefully make it easier for somebody else!
As a reminder, here’s what I started with. The frame was in great shape, but the seat was sagging and pretty gross.
The first step was to completely remove the old seat and the webbing underneath it.
Then I wove chair webbing to create a new seat. I did all of the pieces going one way first, pulling them as tight as I could and hammering in upholstery tacks, then wove the other pieces across.
I left extra webbing hanging over the sides and stapled it down to the frame after I finished attaching all the pieces. I don’t think this is actually necessary, you could probably just trim the webbing around the frame, but the webbing I took off the chair was stapled back over the nails, so I just did the same.
The next step was to cut the foam for the seat to size. I made a paper template and traced it onto the foam, then just sawed away with my scissors (a serrated blade would have been better, but I didn’t have one).
It fit right onto the chair.
Now for the tricky part – covering the seat with fabric. I took the foam off the chair and cut the fabric a few inches larger than the foam all around. After one false start, I used spray adhesive to hold the fabric to the foam (but I later pulled it away, so this was more of a temporary aid). My chair had four spots where arms/the back attached to the frame, so the hardest part was working around those. I didn’t really have any technique to this, I just cut and patched and tried to pull it tight around the corners without the foam showing.
Once all of the cutout spots looked okay, I fit the foam back onto the chair and it was time to attach it all together. I worked my way around the chair slowly, pulling the fabric tight, folding it under a few times, and stapling it to the frame.
Once all that was done, I just hotglued some pretty ribbon along the edge to hide all the staples.
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Thrifty Decor Chick’s Before and After Party